The Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston Hall of Fame celebrates a tradition of positive influence and impact across the communities of Boston and Chelsea. Inductees are individuals who have gone on to make important contributions in their field, are role models of exemplary service to their community, and continue to have a positive impact on their Club.
Dr. Reid and his family moved to South Boston in 1949. He was the Principal of South Boston High School from 1965 until 1975, when he left due to escalating tensions during the busing crisis. Dr. Reid then worked in the Boston Public Schools headquarters until retiring in 1981. He served in the Navy during World War II and in the Navy reserves, receiving a Bronze Star and retiring as a commander. Dr. Reid even helped set up a Navy flight preparatory school at the College of Wooster, and it was there in 1942 that he met his wife.
He was the first community representative to be elected onto BGCB’s Board of Directors, serving from 1978 until 1992, when he moved onto the Senior Advisory Board. Dr. Reid also served on the South Boston Club’s Local Advisory Board for many years. In recognition of his service the Club established the “Doc Reid and the South Boston Alumni Rock Wall” and “William Reid Teen Education Center”.